This Green Smoothie is my daily go-to drink every single morning, especially pre or post-workout for easily absorbable nutrients. Freshly made fruit and vegetable smoothies are especially great in the morning to give our digestion a rest and continue with the detoxification process during the night before. I will add in extra vegan based protein powders for post-workout, and extra fruit, for carbohydrates. Both are great for your muscles.
(Serves 2 to 4 persons)
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 1 cup of coconut water (or double the filtered water)
- 5 heaping handfuls of organic kale (or substitute for organic spinach if you don not prefer kale)
- 1 large head of organic romaine lettuce
- 5-7 large stalks of organic celery, chopped
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
- 1-2 bananas, chopped
- ½ cup organic cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup of cilantro
- ½ cup of parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 brazil nuts (Are high in selenium which supports iodine levels that support for a healthy thyroid).
The following are optional but recommended see notes*
- dash of cayenne * Boost the immune system, helps to stimulate digestion and metabolism to name a few.
- dash of cinnamon * Natural Blood sugar stabilizer, to counteract the sugar from the fruits in this recipe.
- dash of turmeric * Full of anti-inflammatory, antioxidants and many other health benefits.
- Using the Vitamix// or high-speed blender, pour filtered water(s) into the blender
- Add chopped celery stalks and romaine lettuce first, and turn on low-speed to puree.
- Gradually increase the speed and add chopped kale (and or spinach).
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until creamy.
- At this point you may add more water to achieve your desired consistency.
* Best to drink as soon as possible but storing in airtight containers (such as mason jars) is just fine you may lose some nutrients, but minimal and is far better than not drinking this at all.
* I do a lot of batch cooking and this is my staple juice, so I make a large batch but omit the fruit and in the morning I add the fresh or frozen fruit and re-blend everything together.